351 Willibrord Avenue, Verdun, Québec H4G 2T7 - Tel: (514) 769-9678 - Fax: (514) 761-1717

His plans were happily supported by the many involved parishioners who volunteered or joined such organizations of service as the legion of Mary, the Altar Society, or the Sodality for young people. Church and school were intertwined. Student participation in parish life was virtually 100%. The population continued to increase and during the war St. Willibrord’s sent some 1100 members from the parish into the various services, 53 of whom made the supreme sacrifice.

In 1944, St. Willibrord’s girls’ school faculty had nineteen sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame (CND) as well as many lay teachers. The boys’ school had in residence twelve Sacred Heart Brothers augmented by about as many lay teachers. The CNDs, incidentally, have been a part of the St. Willibrord fabric since almost the outset. The Sacred Heart Brothers were replaced by the Presentation Brothers about 1950. St. Willibrord’s was the locale for sports such as basketball and boxing. There were plays, socials, and a beehive of activity geared toward supporting the soldiers overseas. Parishioners and clergy worked countless hours packing ‘ration kits’ to send to our forces in Europe. In 1946 the Parish peaked at some 2500 families. There were five priests in residence and each had a heavy work schedule. There were three Masses on weekday mornings and six on Sunday, but the priests could count on volunteers who brought their talents and gifts to so many various endeavours. It seemed that virtually everyone was involved in some way.

The sudden passing of Father Elliott as he was planning an interior makeover of the church in 1951 brought us a new Pastor somewhat different from the soft-spoken Monsignor. Canon Jasper J. Stanford was a baritone homilist who came to us from the east-end St. Dominic’s. A man with a grace for liturgy, he continued the development of Father Elliott’s interior church renovation plan but grew ill not long after he took up his mandate and passed away after only two years at St. Willibrord’s.

Previous Next

St. Willibrord’s Schools